Wednesday 27 May 2015

Day 113 and 114: Rum and VW

Day 113

We left the day unplanned today so we could so some bits with Phil and Sue but their jeep still isn't fixed so it's a day at Golden Sunset but it's probably not a bad thing after seeing how sun burnt we got yesterday.

Ben's determined to get his blog done so he ploughs his way through that whilst I get stuck in watching the election results with a suprise for me as our 18 year Lib Dem MP gets replaced with a conservative. I'm in shock and not in a good way. The day continues like this with me avidly refreshing the BBC and Ben finishing his Borneo blog when, at 4pm, Phil asks us if we want to meet him up the top for a drink of Tanduay Rum to watch the sunset, we both jump at the chance.

Now Tanduay is a local deadly rum that even at its most expensive only costs £4 for a litre. We are starting on the 12 year stuff tonight and it's instantly deadly. Their Swedish friend Linus joins us and he's very funny and soon the evening starts blending into one for me. I know we order food but I don't know what and I know we talk and laughed but I couldn't tell you what about. It became apparent the evening needed to come to a close when I can't walk straight and I know I'm going to be paying for this in the morning. 

Day 114

Urg. Just urg. Last night was good but oh my we are paying for it this morning. I somehow managed to injure my shoulder last night and I can't quite lift it above my head this morning. Our only plan for today is to go to a launch party thing for a fibreglass boat builder and luckily that's not till about lunch time so we hide in our pit until then. 



We are going in Goldie which is Phil and Sue's fabulously converted Beetle that has been stretched, it's amazing! We jump in the back and enjoy the scenery again but we haven't been driving for more than 5 minutes before Phil lets us know that the breaks failed for Sue early today and she nearly crashed into a tree. Hmm. It's only a couple of minutes after that, that thr car starts to make an odd noise. We drive a little further before it starts to smell and we pull over. Turns out the bearing has gone on the front right wheel and the wheel looks like it's coming off, eek. There is a mechanic nearby and he's going to check it out but it means we need to take a jeepney to the party. Now these are odd little things, similar to a motorbike tuk tuk in Thailand but a slightly different shape and they lean pretty low at the back. Even lower when Phil and Ben get in. The party isn't too far down the road so it's not too bad a ride. The oddness of our day doesn't stop there as this party is just strange. It's full of Expats with their wives and corrupt mayors and officials and more annoyily they have run out of food and there's not beer! We don't stay long.

The car still isn't fixed by the time we need to leave so we grab another jeepney into town where we wait for a bigger truck to take us all the way back. Whilst we wait we grab some delicious caramelised banana on sticks and wander round the market. It's whilst we are pursuing that we get a call to say Goldie is fixed woohoo! So another short jeepney ride back to our golden chariot and then back home. We have a lovely dinner with Sue tonight as Phil isn't feeling too well and catch up. It's an early night though as we've got to be up at the crack of dawn for the market and I can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A blog all about one pink-hair girl's trials and tribulations of first-time backpacking whilst trying to keep to her vintage roots.