Friday 6 March 2015

Day 25 and 26: Sun Rises and Sneaking Lifts

Day 25
On our penultimate day we finally did it, we manage to wake up for the sun rise and my it was worth the hour sleep lost. The sky was filled with oranges and pinks as the sun slowly rose from behind the mountains and I was a little in awe wrapped up in my sleeper on the deck.



Our early start also means we are off out to breakfast a little earlier and I had my eye on a little bakery we spotted the day before. The food here is delicious and I finally get my hands on some marmalade, tart and fresh compared to the over sweet sugary jam I've been having so far, man I have missed it. As today is our last full day, we need to get a boat sorted to take us off the island and that needs cash so we wander off in the morning heat to the ATM which is a short walk from the hut. It, of course, is switch off and the next one is about a mile down the road. Even though we got through the heat of Bangkok I'm not looking forward to even a short distance in today's temperature and nor is Ben so we hire a bike from right next to the ATM.

This bike comes with only the vapours of petrol so we have to fill up for the first time on our trip, the petrol pumps here are automated machines, which to our surprise, sings at you. Loudly, for about 15 seconds once you've filled your tank, it's brilliant and I'm thinking of starting a petition to get them installed in the UK. Cash got and still with several hours left on the bike we go back to Luna beach and swim and sun bathe soaking up the sun that we both have come to worship. 



Hunger and heat gets to us so we go back to the cabin and spend the afternoon, and I mean the whole afternoon, trying to find somewhere to stay. I would say that's a real downside to travelling constantly trying to find somewhere to stay that's affordable, near where you want to be and not a dive, all whilst trying to decipher the weird reviews on trip advisor. Honestly where do these people come from? "I love the hotel but was a bit disappointed at the wild life near by, can't they do something about the crickets?" "The breakfast was a let down, no bran flakes. Lucky I'd put some in my bag"

We settle on Ao Nam Mao and need to get out after the hours wasted on trying to find somewhere so we drive around the island for one last time and settle on a beach until we crave pizza and another pool battle.

Day 26

We have to leave our little paradise today and manage to catch another sun rise which was so great way to finish the trip here. We took advantage of the laundry service the restaurant offers yesterday and pick it up this morning savouring the smell of fresh washing, oh it's the little things you miss. We've packed and breakfasted by 11 and we leave our bags until our taxi comes and picks us up at 2pm.



The plan is to go lounge on the beach but Ben's stomach says different and we have the tastiest German sandwiches that I have ever eaten with gherkin and mustard. So much of our enjoyment is centred around food but that isn't really any different to home. The beach in front of us has hammocks and after filling our faces with a pudding of brownie, we share one, enjoying the sound of the waves and the cooling sea breeze. We lounge till the pool tables calls, the battle involves 4 games today and I win 2!! The total now stands at a more acceptable 8-4.

It quickly becomes taxi time so we take the hot, steep walk up to the cabins for a final time and load ourselves and our bags into the back of a jeep heading towards Mahot pier. In true Thai style the boat arrives late, it's not just Ben who feels sick this time with the rough ride and the boats eye hurting decor so I'm very glad when we finally get off about half an hour later. We arrive in Ao Nammao the same time as another much bigger boat and we frustratingly have to wait behind it, though I didn't realise how fortunate this was going to be. Our little boat off loads onto the beach, so with damp feet we make our way past the pier to what we believe is the area for the local buses, as we don't want to get caught up with the higher tourist prices. We get directed onto the back of a white truck, apparently heading towards our hotel with a few other tourists and we set off, it seemed a little luxurious for a local bus but it was going our way so I didn't mind. First stop, an a girl gets off, grabs her bag and goes into her hotel without paying. I think any minute the driver will go after her but he just gets back into the truck and then it dawns on me, we've managed to hop on the free transfer bus that the other much bugger posher boat must offer. 

Our stops next and I quickly grab Ben and drag him away from the bus as he tries to get out his wallet, giving me the weirdest look.
"Keep walking" I hiss "But we haven't..." "Sshhhh"
Once we've scurried inside I will Ben in and we realised we've saved our saves about £5 and a hot walk from the nearest bus stop, success.
And all my worries about our last minute hotel booking are unfounded as the room is perfect, a fridge, air con, a warm shower and only a 2 minute walk from the pier to one of the best beaches in the world.
Dinner is the finally topping on our brilliant cake day as the food is delicious and well priced so we finish the day full and happy, cooled by air con and I fall into one of the best night sleeps I've had all trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A blog all about one pink-hair girl's trials and tribulations of first-time backpacking whilst trying to keep to her vintage roots.