Monday 9 March 2015

Day 35 and 36: Trains, Food and Trains

Day 35

We've seen all we want to of this strange little town and head back to Ayutthaya where tomorrow we will taking the train up to Chaing Mai, the last stop in Thailand for us. The hotel guy is his usual helpful self and gets us a taxi, and we sip on our new favourite drink (Sachet Hot Chocolate with added coffee for Ben) till it turns up and takes us back the train station. 

We arrive with 45 minutes spare and do the only thing you can when you got that might time to waste in a train station and weighed ourselves with the parcel scales. We picked 3rd class tickets going back and the food we bought off the sellers in there was fantastic, I have 2 whole corn on the cob for 40p and I swear it was hotter than the sun. Mixed in with the fact we had no air con, my internal temperature starts to rise and I suddenly I begin to understand what it's like for Ben, the eternal sweater. My whole body is covered and I can't cool myself down even with the windows open, it reaches breaking point for me when sweat drips from behind my knees but Ben can't stop laughing. It's honestly the worse train journey I've ever had and I'm so glad to be getting off, even if I do leave a little puddle behind me.



We are only staying in Ayutthaya for one night and we haven't yet booked anywhere, I know, me not having to micro manage, I hope you're as impressed as I am. We spot a hostel just after we get off the little boat and it's cheap and clean and more importantly for my still over heating body, it has a shower!

Clean and cool, we go out to grab some supplies for the 10 hour train journey tomorrow and fill the basket with biscuits, crisps, crackers, Nutella and peanut butter. We also grab a massive bag of the Hot Chocolate we've fallen in love with, delish. We grab a sundae in the diner next to the mall and make our way back to the hostel. It looks like there is going to be a big Chinese New Year celebration tonight which I would love to see, so we wait till 8, get ready and then go search for...nothing, we've got the day wrong, just us. 

Day 36

We are out and in the train station before 9am even though we know about 9.40am train is going to be late. Breakfast is a very spicey fish stew that only burns your lips and the trains only 15 minutes late so the mornings going good. This train is brilliant, there's loads of leg room, air con, a big window and even better free snacks! The lunch was very meaty but I don't mind as I've got snacks and I munch my way through them. The train chugs through sleepy farmland to wooded hills with fires burning besides the tracks, it's a long ride but the scenery is beautiful and we fill our time with films and our usual mad talks. About 3 hours from Chiang Mai the train stops long enough to grab some food and Ben comes back with delicious sticky mango rice, perfect boyfriend. 

Chiang Mai is cool when we arrive and it's refreshing. We bundle into a tuk tuk and head off to find our hostel, tomorrow we are going to start our week in an AirBnB apartment and the lovely couple who own it are not just letting us in 4 hours early, they are also picking us up. I think this is going to be a good week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A blog all about one pink-hair girl's trials and tribulations of first-time backpacking whilst trying to keep to her vintage roots.