Monday 13 April 2015

Day 67 and 68: Buses and Mojitos

Day 67

Our bus is leaving at 7.30 so we are all organised and downstairs for 7am. We get picked up by a mini bus and are quite chuffed with the transport until they fit 15 people into 11 seats and it's then we realise it's just taking us to bigger bus. This is when it gets fun, it's a sleeper bus!! Which means instead of seats there are individual beds so you can lounge the journey away. It also has wifi and air con which trumps the train.

It's meant to take 3 1/2 hours to Mui Ne but with the several stops, poor road conditions and a lunch break it takes us 6 but it was a really pleasant journey. We pull into the main strip in Mui Ne and are instantly accosted by a man trying to give us a map. My heart sinks as I think I've going to have to spend the next 20 minutes over heating trying to tell him "No, we don't want your friends hotel, No we don't need a taxi and No we don't want your pushy tour" but he's actually just being helpful and for the first time on our whole trip I actually want to book things with him.



 He shows us we are only a short walk from our hotel but the heat is unreal and by the time we have reached it at the top of a steepish hill we are both pouring with sweat. The hotel is great though, we are staying in a budget sister of a big resort and we get to use its pool and facilities which are just a short walk away. Our bit also has a little pool and the rooms are brilliant, really tall ceilings, a nice bathroom and a mini bar with Oreos. It's perfect.

We grab some food before heading to check out the beach and it is such a disappointment. It's a similar size to the ones we've been on before but it's full of rubbish and smells disgusting. The only way you can get to it, if you're not staying at a beach side resort, is down a filthy alley which is littered with rotten food and broken chairs. You'd think with it being the main draw to the place and with the amount of resorts there it would be pristine but it's worse than anything ive seen at home. We decide we won't be coming back to that. To cheer ourselves up we go play some pool and I win all 3 games! So we are now standing at 23-15 and I'm actually quite impressed with my playing, one game I even came back from 6 balls on the table to Ben's 1!

Our stomach rumble again so we hit the strip and spot a fairly busy sea food resturant and it's so delicious. I've become a shrimp fiend and I fill my face with butter cook ones covered in fresh black pepper and lime. We wander back, admiring the lack of sounds and darkness and I know I'm going to sleep well tonight.

Day 68

After a night of playing with the air con (we aren't used to such luxuries and put it on too cold and then can't get the remote to work) we are up, breakfasted and by the pool by 9am. The pool is lovely and we swim and sunbathe, getting all excited when happy (7) hour starts and its mojito time! We sunbathe till the heats too much and grab some food and more cocktails, the last one knocks me out and I spend the afternoon napping whilst Ben fiddles with his blog.



Once I finally wake from my mojito nap, we go and grab some food from the same sea food restaurant as before and I fall in love with something else, cabbage in butter and garlic, so good. We play some more pool and I come from 2-0 to a 3-2 victory (25-18) The tunes are brilliant tonight, with a bit of Status Quo and Grease and I'm dancing and singing around the pool table. On our walk home, we book out bus tickets to Saigon and a sun rise sand dune tour the day after tomorrow, can't wait. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

A blog all about one pink-hair girl's trials and tribulations of first-time backpacking whilst trying to keep to her vintage roots.