Thursday 16 April 2015

Day 75 and 76: Buses and Rats

Day 75

I'm still up for most of the night but I do sleep better so I feel a tiny bit more human today. We grab a quick breakfast before getting on the bus to Sihanoukville. Sadly the air con has broken and we both over heat but at least I don't need the toilet every 30 minutes (Thank god for immodiem) and 6 hours later we arrive in Snooky. We aren't staying here as we've heard its a bit trashy so we grab a tuk tuk for the 10 minute drive to the peaceful and beautiful Otres beach. Our place we are staying is amazing, it's just 10 metres from our bed to the sea and the restaurant is run by an Italian family and does the most amazing food. Once we've been fed, we take a dip and the water here is bath like warm, bliss I think I could stay here for ever. 



I'm still feeling a little peaky but we grab some dinner before joining in with the weekly quiz night. We come a fabulous last (I'm blaming the illness) but it meant we got the booby prize, 7 free beers at a bar down the road, win! The temperature is perfect and with the sound of the waves and last few days, I fall asleep as soon as my head hits the pillow. 

Day 76

Ben's all good this morning and wakes up early go get some sun rise pictures bit I stay fast asleep, as you can see.

Once I do finally rise from my slumber, we run straight to the sea and its bliss. The restaurant doesn't open till 9.30 so we can't have breakfast straight away so I grab the laptop and do some work whilst Ben relaxes on the beach. It isn't long though before we are jump on my hawkers, Ben has a bracelet girl whilst I get a lady offering manicures, which I don't want but I do get her to take off my nail varnish from Vietnam. She's angling for some more work and takes one look at my slightly unkept legs and see hers opportunity.
"Your legs, I thread them"
"Urm..."
"It will last so long and be so nice"
So I experience I rather painful hour where she uses thread to tweeze each single hair out, ouch (it does last though, I'm still hair free 10 days later)

After this, it's finally breakfast time and although I can't eat loads it's so very tasty. Ben's not feeling great so we use this as an excuse to lounge at our cabin and sunbathe all day. As the evening draws in we carry on our chess championship and munch away on yummy pizza. This is sadly when it all starts going a bit downhill, the pizza was obviously a bit too much for me and I start needing to be very close to a toilet again, I also start being sick again and I can see I'm in for the long haul. The situation gets even better when I notice a big, thick rat tail coming under the wall of our straw and wood cabin (Did I say i really don't like rats?) I finish as fast as one can with a stomach upset and cower behind Ben. He plays manly man and hits it with a broom but as it moves a squeak battle starts behind the wall and suddenly a smaller one rushes across the floor of the room, we had obviously disturbed more that one. Ben comes to the rescue again and tries to hit it with a broom but misses. 

He stands guard whilst I go let the manager know but there is only restaurant staff on tonight and they don't really get it. One guy comes in and bangs the walls and says "All gone" but doesn't do anything to guard from them coming back. We have to spend the rest of the night with the door stringed shut (it wouldn't close on its own) with me being sick into a bin in the room unless the inevitable happened and I need the toilet, where Ben would stand at the door with the broom guarding me, who says romance is dead. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

A blog all about one pink-hair girl's trials and tribulations of first-time backpacking whilst trying to keep to her vintage roots.