Friday 17 April 2015

Day 79 and 80: Moving, Sick, Better and Beach

Day 79

I don't go back to sleep after our little night time visitor and when Ben wakes up at 7, I let him know about our guest and he's up packing faster than I am and we start searching for somewhere new. Knowing I'll need somewhere I can almost guarantee will be rat proof, we opt for a concrete walled villa just a little way out from the beach called Nice Dreams and I hope I'll have some.

We check out without any fuss even though it was 3 days early and grab a tuk tuk. We have to sacrifice the closeness to the beach for the concrete, air conned heaven but it's about a 5 minute walk and it takes you right out on Long Beach. As soon as we drop our bags, I feel a massive weight lift off my shoulders and I feel safe. 

We wander into town to grab some food and we have our first taste of Amok, the delicious Cambodia curry. Ben orders a bowl and with the few nibbles I have I know we will be having this again, it's coconut and lemon-grass based and delicious. We get a game of pool in (33-25) and then head off down the beach for a sun bathe and a swim and I feel so relaxed I nearly fall asleep. After a few hours though, I get a familiar rumble in my stomach and suddenly the idea to have a bowl of chips for lunch wasn't the best idea. We manage to get back to before I spewed but I don't have that luck for the rest of the evening and can't seem to move without needing to go. I'm fed up of being sick now so do a bit of research at what settles down stomach and luckily after a very cautious drink of ginger tea and some plain rice I seem to be better, progress!

Day 80

I slept well last night with only a few little niggles and I feel so much better today, I even manage some bread and ginger tea for breakfast. We're going in a day trip to Koh Rong today to see if it's somewhere we want to stay on our beach tour as we have heard very good things. The bus to the ferry is picking us up from the old place so we have a quick stroll and we turn up just as our bus is arriving, good timing

It collects a few more people (and one poor girl who thinks its a bus to Kampot) and we arrive at the pier, with our boat also waiting, very good timing. It's cost us $5 each, each way and it's a slow boat so we have 2 hours to kill until we arrive on the paradise of Koh Rong. The boat docks and we excitedly make our way down the pier to a complete anti climax. The first thing you see is an over crowded strip that's dirty and loud, we wander to get some food and see if we can find why this place is so recommended. The meal does nothing to improve our view so we head to the beach and the crystal clear waters. The water was beautiful and slightly cooler which was lovely and we played in the sea till it was tan topping up time. I only lasted 8 minutes though as I was constantly being bitten by sand flies and at 14 bites I gave up. There's no way we want to leave our lovely Otres for this, even for the beautiful sea and sand. 

We only had 4 hours on the island and sadly it couldn't finish quick enough. For the last 45 minutes we bags ourselves some cushions on the top deck and sun bathe until the boat leaves. The 2 hour trip back went quite fast as we slept and I cloud watched to pass the time. We've managed to make ourselves quite crispy so we go back to the hotel for dinner, Amok.....drool and I'm asleep as soon as my head hits the pillow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A blog all about one pink-hair girl's trials and tribulations of first-time backpacking whilst trying to keep to her vintage roots.