Friday 19 June 2015

How to Stay Vintage Whilst Backpacking

It's fair to say that looking vintage and backpacking don't usual go together. When packing your smallish bag that has to take a years worth of supplies in, you normally prioritise the limited space to toilet roll, after sun, swim wear and practical clothes that you can throw on in a second, don't get too creased or need too much washing. Pretty 1950's dresses and their counterpart accessories of handbags and hair clips come pretty far down the list. But when I started packing, it just didn't feel like me to not have a bit of vintage stuff in my bag as it means so much to me at home, so I've compiled a guide on how I squeeze it all and balanced the practical with the beautiful.


My favourite style in the UK

A few points, my idea of "looking vintage" is a rockabilly or 1950's style so my suggestions will be based around that and also I'm travelling through hot countries so the tips and tricks will be for summer outfits. 

There are two rules to remember when packing vintage and they are:

1. It's all about the Accessories.

          At home, they can make or break an outfit and they have an even bigger importance 
          when backpacking. A simple outfit of shorts and a vest top can be easily vintaged up 
          with a headscarf or shades so pack enough to cover all eventualities.

2. Only take bits with you that would wear in the UK

          This might sounds an obvious one but it has kept cropping up on the many travel 
          blogs I've read before setting off. If you don't wear combats or safari hats at home, 
          don't take them. They will only live at the bottom of your bag, taking up room and be 
          chucked once you start shopping here. The only exception I would make is good 
          footwear, which I'll go on to later.

Wardrobe Essentials
Although I have raved about the important of accessories, I'm going to start with clothes, as they are what you'll be accessorising with and you'd look a bit silly if you forget to pack these. At home my style is varied, from lazy skinnys to pencil skirts. But my weakness is dresses and I wouldn't be me if I hadn't packed a few to tide me over. My choices for this trip had to be practical though, as well as cool and light so I went for 4 retro, cotton dresses, in bright vintage style prints or shapes. I've worn them over shorts for rides on bikes, thrown them on over a bikini on the beach and jazzed them up for the few times we've gone out somewhere a little snazzy. Believe it or not, Primark is a good place to look for these, or second hand shops. Nearly all of my dresses I've bought are atmosphere and second hand.




Next up, clothes wise is the pencil skirt. I was warned against bringing one of these by so many people who said I just wouldn't wear it but it's such a huge part of my wardrobe at home that I knew it had to sneak in my bag. I've already worn it 3 or 4 times as nights do get a little cooler here and it's great to throw on with a shirt. On the subject of shirts, many of the place we have been so far are much happier if you have your shoulders covered so I would really recommend throwing in a light, airy but long sleeve cotton shirt in your bag. It is also great for warding off the little night-time nibblers so go for a dark colour as they don't seem as attracted to them. 


A little pencil skirt love in Hong Kong.
Going on the covering up theme, as well as shoulders, many holy places such as temples like you to have your legs covered to your shins and the easiest way to do that in the heat is with a cotton maxi dress. Now these really don't really fit my body shape or my wardrobe and I wouldn't have bought on if it wasn't for getting one for Christmas but it has been a life saver. Not only have I worn it to keep respectful, I also managed to get myself nicely burnt in Thailand and it was brilliant in keeping my lobster skin out of the sun the follow days. I added my own little vintage touch by wearing it with an elasticated belt and a tied shirt.

My last but not least clothing essential is a warm hoodie. That's not very vintage I hear you cry, no but it has been my most priced wardrobe item through this whole trip. Nights can get cold in Asia, especially in mountains and there has been a few nights I've gone to bed wearing several layers. Also the air con on public transport is normally set to Arctic so you go on sweating but within minutes are wanting to wear your bag for the rest of the hour/full day trip. So hoodies are a god send, light, easy to clean and warm when you need it. I would also throw in some thick socks, as toes normally get the coldest.

Not exactly clothes but I'll put them in here, Swimwear. These are another great way to keep a vintage look about you but still keeping practical. Many high street fashions and online have swayed towards the 50's style in the last few years so you have a lot to choose from. I'm not keen on the high waisted numbers as they don't suit my body shape but I do love all the pretty patterns that are around. I have a plain black one with is halter neck and a wakiki strapless one that I bought out here and I love the pattern so much. The best sites I've found on the web that have the best retro range are Mod Cloth or for the designs New Look.


A New Look Design.
The Add-Ons
Now to move on to the all important accessories. From home, I bought three staple accessories with me that I know will vintage up any of my outfits. Drum roll please....it's headscarves, sunglasses, a white waist belt. They are simple and light but real heavyweights in the vintage accessory world. 




Starting with the headscarves, I've got a bit of a thing for them. At home I've got about 20 and I know my collection is going to keep growing, because they have so many uses home and away.

Things I have used my scarves for so far whilst backpacking 
To keep snacks in
For keeping my hair looking fabulous.
Mopping up spills.
Stopping my products leaking in my bag
Collecting shells with.
Neck warmer
Hiding bag hair
Keep my hair out of my face on the beach

Other uses I know they have but haven't used them for. Yet.
A miniature picnic blanket
Bag ornament 
Storage container
First Aid Bandage

The list goes on as their uses are endless and because of that I packed 8. I used them mainly for hiding bad hair and tying one around your head is also such a simple way to look vintage in any outfit you wear. You could also get a larger one to cover your shoulders in temples and keep you warm on the over air conditioned public transport. The other good thing about them is that they are very cheap to buy, most vintage shops sell them for £3-£5 and they are even cheaper in charity shops so really a travel must.

The other must have accessory is the belt. I got this one about 3 years ago and have nearly worn it out with all the outfits I've used it with. The best thing about this type of belt is that it can give you a waist in any outfit you wear, so you can use it to tighten up loose shirts or fix maxi dresses in place. I went for white as it goes for most things I wear but it does dirty quite quickly. Mine is from Vivien of Holloway and only £12 and they come in various colours and sizes.




Finally, to complete your vintage look we have the sunglasses. I had bought out a pair of shades with me but they were already pretty scratched as I've had them a while and coming here and not looking after them (Bad me) they had started to become a little unwearable. But I didn't have to worry about finding a new pair as the beach resorts here are are full of them. I went for a cream classic style as it goes with my hair and I love them, below are some retro styles I've found online that will also be great for completing your outfit. I would also recommend investing in a case so your lovely eye protectors don't go the same way as my first pair.


£12 from ASOS.

£10 from Asos


The Finishers
As well as clothes and the all important accesories, there are a few other things you can have up your sleeve to keep the vintage look.

Hair
It doesn't need loads of products or straightners to create fabulous retro locks. There are some simple but effect styles like a modern take on beehive or victory rolls than can be easily done whilst on the move or you could just throwing on a head scarves. For ideas, pictures and tutorials have a look at What's your tale, Nightingale? Blog all about Vintage Hair on the Move.

Shoes, and why it important to break with the vintage here.
I, at home, do not wear sensible shoes. You will not find a trainer or a supportive walking boot in my collection, the closest I come to practical is the cheap canvas shoes I wear on my occasionally trips to the gym, but here they are really a god send. I went against my grain and bought a pair of cheap, plain trainers with me that have really proved their worth, I learnt very quickly it is near impossible to carry two heavy bags in the heat with sweaty flip flops and mountain climbs can't be done gracefully in sandles. So bring some, really, even if you think you'd rather wear a cat on your head as you will not regret it.

Make up
I keep my make up pretty simple in the UK, a modern and easy hommage to the 1940's and 50's style, and I've found this is also a good way to keep a vintage style in the heat away. Both styles emphasise the lips and the eyes so you won't need to many products, think cats eyes, red lips and big lashes, I've included some pictures below for inspiration. This might sound terrifying to some of you but steer clear of foundations and concealers here, it really is too hot to be covered, all I have is some face power to take of the shine. An added point at the end, little tins are great for storing eyelashes and ear rings so put a few in your bag.




Rucksack and travel bags.
Rucksacks are a little harder to keep to a vintage style because here practicality wins over design as you need it to give you as much space and support as possible. But with your carry-on bag or day rucksack you can be a little freer. For the last year at home I have used and abused my Cath Kidson rucksack and there was no question as to whether I would be brining it out here. It's got a really useful pocket at the front, a padded laptop compartment which I put my iPad in and looks so darn cool. There are many different designs all in Ms Kidson's fabulous designs so its a perfect bag to finish off your vintage look. I would also recommend brining a little beach bag, big enough for a book and a towel as you don't really want to lug a rucksack down to the beach.

Little extras, 
There are all the added touches that keep you feeling vintage in a 16 bed dorm or on a long haul flight, think:

  • Hankies,
  • Vintage make up bag
  • Glasses case
  • A retro designed note book
  • A compact mirror (You can get vintage ones like Stratton at good prices)
So now you've all packed and you ready to take the world by a vintage themed storm, I hope you enjoy it all as much as I am :)

So things to remember:

  1. A head scarf solves all problems
  2. Take one pair of good walking shoes and one warm hoodie/top
  3. Take clothes at are in vintage styles or patterns but repos and cotton.
  4. Look after your accessories (unlike me) so they last the whole trip.
  5. Have a look at the What's your tale, Nightingale blog about vintage hair.
  6. Prepare before go so you know you can throw it all together effortlessly 
  7. Only take things to would ever wear at home
  8. Be you

No comments:

Post a Comment

A blog all about one pink-hair girl's trials and tribulations of first-time backpacking whilst trying to keep to her vintage roots.